#ISTE11: On Longitudinal Web Presences for Writing, Learning, Being

• James Beane and his work on breaking down the curriculum barriers and asking good questions
  • plus Paulo Friere’s thinking on asking learners to look for generative themes
  • with a dash of who reminds us of the power of making things through free writing.
I need to return to all three of those folks and dig back in to some of their thinking. #

1. My words, not his []
  2. Eight years. How many writing spaces do you have that last six months. Learning, folks, is a marathon. []
  3. Probably incorrectly, but playing with words is fun. []
  4. Sometimes, the curbs matter and the making of the containers are essential, in no small part because the traffic on the road and the stuff in the boxes is precious and worth looking after. The road needs to last for a long, long time. []

5 thoughts on “#ISTE11: On Longitudinal Web Presences for Writing, Learning, Being

1. In my first year of teaching at a 1:1 school, I went a little tool/space crazy. Lots of fun, interesting work, but we spent a fair amount of time figuring out tools and a lot of that work sits pretty orphaned on the web. In the past couple of years, we’ve spent more time making students’ blogs their long-term space and embedding work from other sites into those blogs. One student titled her’s “My Home on the Web.” That sounded about right to me.

I don’t envy the IT folks who have to make the choices about the what those tools/platforms will be. As a teacher, it’s important to me to have as much input and flexibility as possible. As an IT person, how do you balance teacher and student need of and desire for flexibility and customization with desire for and importance of longitudinal spaces?

2. I feel you’ve hit on something huge here that I had been missing for some time. It’s so easy to look at what we expect of kids short term and completely miss the long term, big picture. Just this year we started (and by we I really mean our tech guy) an online school newspaper for our K-5 kids. I’ve been watching it for months in awe at what they (the kids) are creating mostly independently but it had never occurred to me that one of the wonderful things about this newspaper is that kids can be a part of it from kindergarten through fifth grade. Of course, after that I don’t know what happens.

As a quick aside, I’ve just this summer discovered Peter Elbow. I’m participating in the Northern Virginia Writing Project Summer Institute and his name kept popping up with articles and books that intrigued me. So, I’m on a bit of an Elbow binge at the moment.

3. This is one of those “of course” ideas that resonates. I always hope that the learning in my classroom spills into the rest of their lives – that the learning is authentic and meaningful to my students and therefore not a compartmentalized moment “for the teacher.” The web is making some of that easier to create as long as we don’t use such highly specialized tools that will be obsolete within a year or two. I think the KISS principle is a good one to consider when deciding what space to help students create in order to help them create a space with longevity.